28 June, 2021

David Gaban - RIP

 I got the sad news this morning from multiple postings on Facebook that David (Dave) Gaban is no longer among us. Most, if not all of us in the scorpion community knew Dave. Either by personal communication or from his numerous contributions in different fora on the internet and in ATS publications like "Gaban's Scorpion Tales" from 1998. He also published some scientific work like the article "Ecdysis in scorpions: Supine behavior and exuvial ultrastructure" which he co-authored together with professor Roger Farley in 2005.

Dave was a major source of knowledge and always interested in sharing this knowledge with the rest of us. He was one of my first international contacts when I started participating in the old "Scorpion Enthusiast email list" almost 30 years ago. He always answered my emails even though I suspect that I was not the only one sending him questions. I will always be grateful for this!

Dave was also a good photographer and started early taking pictures of his scorpions. And when I started The Scorpion Files, Dave was more than willing to allow me using his pictures in my new web site. There are more than 40 of his pictures in the gallery today.

My thought are with Dave's family.

RIP

Jan Ove Rein
Editor of The Scorpion Files

No comments: